The Interdisciplinary Center for Biotechnology Research (ICBR) invites applications for a full-time faculty position at the level of Assistant Scientist. This is a 12-month, non-tenured position. The ICBR, founded in 1987, is an auxiliary research support organization providing key biomolecular technology services beneficial to the University of Florida life sciences research community. ICBR is a secondary service provider here at UF, which provides excellent technical expertise and customer service to UF researchers and outside biotechnology companies.
We seek a doctorate-level scientist with training and experience in FACS sorting and FACS Analysis and Fluorescent Microscopy. The ideal candidate will have experience providing Cytometry support for complex research projects involving multidisciplinary scientific teams. The successful candidate will have excellent oral and written communication skills, combined with a broad understanding of key Immunological and Cellular/Cancer Biology with an integrated understanding of Flow Cytometry Instrument operations.
This position entails complex Data analysis, Experimental Design and Optimization of both FACS Samples in real time and post-acquisition data analysis and Fluorescent Microscopy sample prep and analysis. This is not a Flow Core Directorship position or a Faculty Flow Core advisory position. This position is a Flow core Senior staff member and reports to the Scientific Director for the ICBR Flow Cytometry core lab.
- Consult with independent laboratory investigators (university faculty members, postdocs, staff, and students) engaging in flow cytometry on instrument training for analysis and sorting projects, as well as running customer samples for drop off services, live cell sorting on FACS ARIA II and III and fixed/live cell FACS analysis. (projects in Immunology, cancer biology, cellular biology, microbiology, zoology and small particle analysis), consider investigator goals, and suggest appropriate experimental design and optimization as well as real time troubleshooting of samples to meet customer project goals.
- Recommend appropriate methodological procedures for proper Flow Cytometry sorting and analysis; Assist customers with running live cell sorting, hands on instrument training and produce overall descriptive data output in FCS express or FLowjo with plots Description of data and statistics; including graphs, summary statistics, and necessary transformations; and confirmatory data analyses, including statistical tests and/or models. Performs sample size and power calculations. Apply appropriate computational methods and data mining techniques for investigating genomic and proteomics data
- Prepare written reports of sorting and sample analysis providing references, methods, results, and conclusions about the data set only. Flow cytometry panel and experimental design, methods, and analysis sections for research proposals and research publications. Contribute significant intellectual/conclusive thought to publications.
- Discusses with colleagues, investigators, and supervisor needs for any additional instruments training programs, analyses and/or special methodological requirements. Participates in regularly scheduled meetings with study investigators and team. Prepares progress reports as needed.
- Ph.D. in Immunology, Cell Biology, Cancer Biology or Biology/Zoology, or a Ph.D. in a cellular/Molecular biology-related field together with a strong FACS cytometry and Microscopy background.
- Demonstrated aptitude for clearly and enthusiastically communicating with both scientific and non-scientific personnel.
- A minimum of 2 years postgraduate experience in Flow Cytometry including an established track record in using FACS sorting and FACS analysis equipment, as well as advanced immunophentotyping experience. Preference will be given to those candidates with 2-3 years’ experience providing FACS support services as a member of an immunology/cancer biology research team.
- Working knowledge of FACS sorting and FACS Analysis procedures on BD platforms and equipment. Other platforms are helpful as well (eg.Sony SH800, Accuri C6) highly desirable. Particularly higher-level interpretation of FACS data and panel design and proper experimental set up including FMOs, isotype controls, antibody titration interpretation and analysis.
- Experience with BD FACS equipment working in a research or customer environment, using BD FACS DIVA 8.02, FCS express 6.01 and Flowjo software packages.
SALARY: $60,000-$65,000 commensurate with education and experience.
For more information and to apply, visit: http://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/cw/en-us/job/507308/assistant-scientist-cytometry
Andria Doty Ph.D.
Cytometry Scientific Director
2033 Mowry Road, Gainesville, FL 32610
Biotech.ufl.edu | Tel: 352.273.8186 | Fax: 352.273.8070
||June 29, 2018
||August 29, 2018
USA - Gainesville, Florida
$60,000-$65,000 commensurate with education and experience.
Andria Doty Ph.D.