Flow Cytometry Scientific Platform Lead
Reports to: Director of Scientific Platforms
This is a full-time, permanent position on Crick terms and conditions of employment.
The Flow Cytometry SP Lead oversees the analytical and sorting capabilities at the Crick. This includes 14 analysers and sorters at Containment Levels 1 and 2, and 1 analyser and 2 sorters at Containment Level 3. The SP also houses a Helios/Hyperion mass cytometry system. The Lead of the facility has a staff compliment of around 12 FTE. The Lead is responsible for ensuring consistency of service to the users of the Lab, development of staff, budgeting and responsibility for maintenance of equipment, and planning and preparing bids for future procurement of equipment. The role reports to the Director of Scientific Platforms.
These include but are not limited to:
Key experience and competencies
- Manage a state of the art Flow Cytometry SP with cutting edge technology and proactive approach to technology development.
- Deliver an excellent and timely flow cytometry service to colleagues within Crick.
- Provide supervision and training to SP and institute staff appropriate technology and instrumentation use.
- Develop a long-term strategy for providing world-class flow cytometry capabilities and also to establish and supervise collaborative projects with Crick research group PIs.
- Interact with fellow researchers to discuss biological content and design of projects and to offer individual support for long term projects.
- Be responsible for the development of methods to meet the scientific requirements of Crick researchers.
- Evaluate new techniques and instrumentation within the flow cytometry field and on their potential implementation within the STP thus helping to maintain a cuttingedge service.
- Exchange knowledge and experience with commercial suppliers and facility staff for the same purpose.
- Maintain continuing professional development in the flow cytometry field and in
- relevant scientific areas through attending scientific meetings, seminars and keeping
- abreast of the relevant literature.
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: bold, imaginative,
open, dynamic and collegial, in addition to the following:
Qualifications, experience and competencies:
- 1st degree in relevant field (Biological Sciences).
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of Flow Cytometry including broad knowledge of
- equipment maintenance and operation, and data processing, analysis and
- Experience of team leadership, including motivation of staff, performance
- management, employee development and delegation
- Experience of financial management with day-to-day budgetary responsibility
- Significant experience in operating a Flow cytometry laboratory in a research
- Strong organisational and planning skills, the ability to prioritise in the face of
- competing demands and proven success in delivering work personally (and through
- others) to tight deadlines.
- Ability to maximise resources available efficiently and have high interpersonal skills.
- Well-developed people management skills and experience of leading, motivating,
- and coaching staff through periods of change along with experience of building and
- leading diverse teams.
- Ability to interact with users regarding present and future research plans to ensure
- needs are met and the facility is on track at the level of delivery of cutting edge
- flow cytometry
||September 12, 2018
||November 14, 2018
London, United Kingdom