The Flow Cytometry and Cell Sorter Expert will join a rich, highly interactive group of immunologists and infectious disease biologist on the Twinbrook campus who have created a unique environment where structural, molecular and cell biology, state-of-the-art imaging and flow cytometry are interfaced to study the fundamental cellular and molecular mechanisms that underlie the signaling functions of immune cell receptors. In addition, scientists are keen to understand the mechanisms of naturally acquired immunity to malaria.
The group takes full advantage of high-quality biospecimens from longitudinal cohort studies to understand antibody responses, B- and T-cell biology and inflammation due to Plasmodium falciparum infection. While the position is technically- and service-oriented, the incumbent will be a colleague and experimental scientist and will work closely with staff in the areas described above to perform complex experiments that require a strong knowledge of flow cytometry, cell sorting.
The incumbent must have strong management, multitasking and people skills to successfully head the core flow cytometry and cell sorting facility. The facility has just over 30 users and maintains three flow cytometers (BD Calibur, BD LSR II and BD X-20 Fortessa), one BD Aria Fusion cell sorter and an AMNIS ImageStream.
This opportunity is full-time, and it is on site on the NIH Twinbrook Campus in Rockville, MD.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Flow Cytometry and Cell Sorter Expert will interact with all Laboratory staff including principle investigators, staff scientist, postdoctoral fellows, and students at all levels of experience with flow cytometry and cell sorting. Responsibilities include the following:
- Train staff in the operation of the flow cytometer, cell sorter and the associated software.
- Aid staff in the design high quality flow cytometry experiments.
- Train staff to analyze flow cytometry data.
- Help staff troubleshoot instrument and experimental problems.
- Review current flow cytometry and cell sorting literature for improved methodologies and quality control procedures.
- Run flow cytometry user group meetings.
- Attend the weekly Laboratory work-in-progress meetings and formal Twinbrook seminars.
- Calibrate, maintain and conduct quality control procedures of major fluidic and optical systems of the flow cytometer and cell sorter, including the operation (analysis and sorting), scheduling, and troubleshooting.
- Maintain a good record keeping system of instrument parameters, computer data backups and instrument usage.
- Prepare reports of instrument usage by personnel and quality control information.
- Work directly with the instrument manufacturers to troubleshoot instrument or computer problems as they arise.
- 2+ years of experience as a cell sorter and flow cytometry operator.
- Experience in the operation of multiparameter experiments is highly desirable, but training will be provided.
- Prior experience monitoring variables that affect the quality of flow cytometric analysis and skill in evaluating and interpreting the results of quality control procedures and implementing corrective action where indicated.
- Knowledge of biology and the scientific method in order to perform the full range of duties related to experimental protocols and the use of the cytometer to design experiments for original research.
- Skilled in developing new applications for the cell sorter and participation in the design of experiments.
- Thorough knowledge of regulations, policies, and guidelines related to biohazard constraints and the handling of biological materials, infectious agents, chemicals, radioactive materials, etc.
- Familiarity with computers and some understanding of spectroscopy and electronics.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, experience communicating with peers and management of a scientific nature.
- Strong applicants with an MS in biology or related scientific field will be reviewed, but PhD-level applicants are preferred.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter highlighting your relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Medical Science & Computing is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
||May 15, 2018
||July 15, 2018
USA - Rockville, Maryland