JOB DESCRIPTION: MEETINGS DIRECTOR
Directs, manages and further develops the strategy, planning and execution of ISAC’s meetings so that they benefit members, students and other attendees, grow the society’s impact globally, and advance ISAC’s organizational strategy and vision for cytometry and cellular analysis. Reports to the Executive Director.
- Oversees, develops, selects or arranges all aspects of ISAC’s meetings and exhibits including the society’s annual Congress CYTO, held in North America or Europe with approximately 2000 attendees and exhibitor staff; the bi-annual CYTO Asia, with 400 attendees at first meeting in 2017 and expectations of up to 800 in 2019; and smaller executive or educational meetings. Continually improves ISAC’s meetings with best practices and innovative approaches.
- Prepares and manages budget for ISAC’s meetings, provides good financial oversight, negotiates for best pricing and terms, manages expenses and grows revenue, reviews and codes invoices, reviews monthly financials, presents projections and adjusts expenditures to meet targets; arranges for meeting cancellation insurance, handles credit applications, helps to arrange nonprofit exceptions, and manages VAT and other legal, policy and procedures compliance.
- Prepares timelines and other project management plans for all meetings. Oversees, often executes, and responsible for meeting and exhibit logistics such as site selection; venue, hotel and other contract negotiation; registration and badges; abstract, abstract review and speaker management; data integrity; Web site; exhibit and sponsorship promotion, sales and fulfillment; housing block; space assignments, diagrams and floorplans; AV; internet/Wi-Fi; signs; meeting app; program; posters; food and beverage; photography; security; shipping; show decorators; transportation; entertainment and offsite event planning; onsite staffing and supervision; expense reimbursement; travel awards and post-meeting reporting. Designs and implements improvements in the efficiency and quality of meetings based on first-hand experiences; attendee, speaker, staff and volunteer leader feedback; analysis of meetings best practices and current environment; and ISAC’s Strategic Plan.
- Manages, evaluates and selects best vendors, often via an RFP process, and makes recommendations on what responsibilities to outsource and what to keep in-house. Oversees vendors’, meeting management companies’ and ISAC’s program assistant’s work on ISAC’s meetings.
- Serves as staff liaison to meetings and other assigned committees. Works closely with CYTO chair and other volunteer leaders to design a strong program and an excellent attendee experience pre-event, onsite and post-event. Provides quality customer service and meeting management consultative service and support to volunteers and staff to effectively plan and execute all sessions, satellite symposia, special events, committee/Council and other small meetings so that the events meet identified objectives.
- Contributes to creation of overall meeting marketing plans and works with ISAC membership and marketing communications manager to ensure ISAC’s meetings are marketed effectively to target audiences. Develop individual marketing plans. Participate in execution of marketing campaign: meeting website, promotional materials, emails, newsletters, prospect identification, and outreach to potential collaborators. Participate in development of brand for meetings. Execute onsite look and feel in support of the brand.
- Works with ISAC executive director and staff to enhance partnership collaboration, increase revenue, leverage relationships with CYTO exhibitors and sponsors and further ISAC’s strategic, organizational and financial goals. Works with education director on Scientific Tutorials and to ensure ISAC’s meetings comply with requirements for CMLE continuing education. Works with program assistant and volunteers to solicit and select workshop proposals.
- Oversees contract and relationship with vendor(s) providing office space and office services to ISAC.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Extensive experience and expertise in meetings management, innovations, technology and best practices
- Strong leadership and strategic planning skills
- Strong negotiation skills and able to obtain terms that are favorable and protect the organization
- Strong ability to increase revenue and manage expenses
- Excellent knowledge of convention, center, hotel, catering, technology, audio/visual and other common meeting related contracts
- High proficiency in a variety of meetings software and technologies and proficient in MS Office Suite
- Ability to motivate, supervise and manage others
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with ability to handle complex and multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience estimating schedules, plans and costs for meetings
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with excellent time management and decision making ability and able to appropriately prioritize projects and tasks in a changing environment with tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills that enable you to work effectively with staff, both individually and in a team environment, with vendors and with volunteers at all levels (leadership, members, committees, etc.)
- Goal oriented, creative thinker who can conceptualize and deliver on ideas; and work independently without direction or with a team to drive projects forward and solve problems.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to maintain a courteous demeanor when under pressure
- Cultural literacy and ability to work in international settings
Bachelor’s degree required.
7-10 years of related experience in meeting management and association management with proven history of highly successful meetings required.
Experience with international meetings strongly preferred.
CMP, CEM or other appropriate certifications preferred.
Experience with meeting management related software required.
Work is primarily performed in the ISAC office. Telecommuting up to one day a week may be granted after one year but is not guaranteed.
Sitting and /or standing for a full work day
Extensive use of computer keyboard, mouse and monitor
Routinely lift objects less than 10 lbs and occasionally lift objects up to 40 lbs.
Work will also be required at ISAC meeting venues including convention centers and hotels.
Participation in conference calls outside of normal business hours will be required.
Travel, including international, to work at ISAC meetings will be required. Inclusion of weekends may be involved.
ABOUT ISAC: The International Society for Advancement of Cytometry (ISAC) is an international, interdisciplinary and innovative scientific organization with nearly 2,000 members who work around the world to advance the impact of cytometry in meeting current and emerging challenges in the life, biomedical and physical sciences. ISAC is in a strong period of growth and expansion and has just transitioned from being managed by an Association Management Company. The society will be a great place for an entrepreneurial individual to grow his or her career and make an impact around the world.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter with salary requirements and a resume to ISAC at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please title the email Meetings Director.
Salary commensurate with experience.
||October 25, 2018
USA - Arlington, Virginia