Scientist (non-PhD), Cancer Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics, 4712674
Cancer Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics seeks to discover and develop novel vaccines for the treatment of various cancers by using a variety of vaccine technology platforms in combination with immunomodulatory agents. We are searching for a motivated individual with broad flow cytometry experience to serve as an intra-departmental FACS core manager and principal cytometer operator. This position will require the successful applicant to train and oversee other cytometer operators, monitor instrument operation and performance, provide troubleshooting assistance, ensure regular maintenance, lead and support the development and implementation of various flow cytometry assays and techniques, and verify the quality of cytometry data released to project teams. Opportunities to support and ultimately lead other immune assay development and high-throughput efforts associated with pre-clinical vaccine R&D will also be available.
The applicant should have a strong working knowledge of contemporary BD Biosciences cell analyzers and cell sorters, principals of flow cytometry and experiment design, cytometry data analysis and reporting best practices, as well as a working knowledge of cellular immunology. The applicant should also be able to proactively apply their knowledge to design and conduct experimental work plans and be able to work both independently and as a member of small collaborative teams. This role is primarily laboratory based with a major emphasis placed upon conducting and overseeing high quality multi-parameter flow cytometry experiments, improving assay performance and throughput, and implementing state-of-the-art methods and best practices, all in a safe manner. An ability to effectively support and successfully advise the activities of other scientists will also be a critical function of this position.
Laboratory and related work (~80% of time) with minimal supervision:
- Performs and/or directly oversees daily cytometer calibration, experiment setup, and sample acquisition efforts.
- Develops and implements protocols and standard operating procedures for instrument use, sample acquisition and data file management.
- Maintains knowledge of contemporary cytometry practices, identify and assess new technology platforms, reagents, and methods, and advocate for expansion/upgrade of capabilities.
- Leads and assists with staining panel development, optimization, and implementation on various cytometer platforms.
- Provides cytometer training and ensures proper instrument usage compliance.
- Performs regular cytometer instrument maintenance and tracks daily performance.
- Troubleshoots instruments and resolves sample acquisition issues.
- Oversees data archiving and routine file purges on cytometer computers.
- Provides data analysis QC.
- Records experimental work regularly in electronic notebook systems.
- Analyzes and interprets experimental data.
- Prepares data summaries and presents findings at subteam and project team meetings.
- Provides clear, concise and timely responses to project team requests for data and experimental information.
- Complies with all EH&S regulations and safe laboratory practices and is a vigilant advocate for the safety of fellow colleagues.
- Identifies and acts to reduce hazards and risks in the laboratory through use of Risk Assessments and Job-based Hazard Assessments.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- B.Sc. or M.S. in biological sciences, preferably including coursework/training in immunology.
- 5+ yrs continuous experience working in a flow cytometry laboratory setting and operational knowledge (including trouble-shooting) of contemporary BD Biosciences flow cytometry platforms
- Demonstrated experience analyzing data using specialized analysis software (FlowJo, FACSDiVa, FCS Express, CytoBank, etc.).
- Highly proficient using Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and familiarity with both PC and Macintosh computer systems.
- Required to work with BSL2 infectious viruses (e.g., Vaccinia, adenovirus, influenza) and must receive and maintain required vaccinations or provide satisfactory proof of same.
- Will adhere to use of appropriate personal protective equipment in standard laboratory spaces and dedicated viral vector use areas.
- Will comply with all regulations and safe laboratory practices.
- Will work safely with human, non-human primate and murine blood and tissue samples that may contain infectious agents.
- Will work on occasional weekday evenings and/or weekend days.
Other Job Details:
EEO & Employment Eligibility
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
Position location is La Jolla, CA
Interested candidates please apply at: https://pfizer.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PfizerCareers/job/United-States---California---La-Jolla/Scientist--Cancer-Vaccines---Immunotherapeutics_4712674-1
||August 6, 2018
||October 6, 2018
USA - La Jolla, California